Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Resources that have cause amazing revelation.

So I am so excited and pumped to get back into the swing of things and continue to implement what I have been learning in the last couple years about parenting. Some stuff has been lived and learned, some has been information from other parents, but allot of refining I have gotten has been a few really awesome parenting books. My sister-in-law about 4years ago started passing on some material and I just loved it. It started a spiral of reading about parenting. I am not usually a big reader. Or at least I thought, but something that hits my core... well I can't help but chewing on it and working it out in my life. I love how much God has revealed to me through these books. I have read a few but there have been three that have really impacted my life and have been continually sifting me and keeping my head in check.

Not the first book that I have read but I think one of my favorites is definitely "Loving Our Kids On Purpose. Making a heart to heart connection." by Danny Silk. It's written in such a personal life learned way, that is very easy to read and(I felt) instantly applicable to your life. To try to condense it, there are a few different themes or concept that Danny touches on, or that I got directly out of the book. The first is that we as parents have the responsibility to show our kids the direct example of God's love. That we are no longer showing our children the punishment of "sins" but the discipline or better the discipleship of learning how to steward the freedom that God has given us. We are to allow our children to have the freedom to learn lessons in the safety of our leadership when it is not life threatening and before any decisions that have detrimental effects on their future. Just as God's greatest desire is to stay connected to our heart and for us to choose to stay connected to His heart, we want to as parents example the consistent connection with them that builds in the kids the desire to then want to stay connected with us. Without guilt, condemnation or lack of grace for lessons that they WILL need to learn and go through in order to become fantastically functioning Godly adults. This totally doesn't quite give the book justice but you get the idea.

One of the first more traditional workbooks that I read and went through was "Entrusted With A Child's Heart" By Besty Corning. Now it's been a while since I pulled this one out but I just love this book because of the fact it was VERY Biblically based. I should say this work book, helps you go through so many concepts that on a daily basis naturally you wouldn't think to far into. Some of the topics that the book dives deep into are: Laying a biblical foundation of faith, Establishing authority, Creating order in your home, Building strong character in your kids, Encouraging good relationships, Dealing with manipulation and rebellion and Fostering spiritual disciplines. Allot to digest but sooo awesome to start you down the path of purposeful parenting.

Finally one of the most solid teaching books I have read is "Grace Based Parenting" by Dr. Tim Kimmel. Tim teaches you also that we need to mirror the heart of God for our children. He focuses on the big picture of "grace based parenting", a need to focus on their inner needs, creating an atmosphere of grace, building character into their hearts and aiming them at true greatness. He talks about how every person is functioning off of three driving inner needs 1. A secure love, 2. a significant purpose and 3. a strong hope. He shows us how to parent in a way makes it natural for our children to be filled in those areas in a Godly healthy way, through our example. This one was not the easiest read I found but definitely worth it to really get the why's and the how's behind our well intentioned parenting.

Well I hope that this has helped someone out there. :) There is so much excellent resources that we have at our fingertips.

If anyone has anymore books that they have really enjoyed or heard of please pass them on. I am on the look out to continue to learn more.

Blessing everyone.

PS. here are the sites the three books that I was talking about.

1. http://www.lovingourkidsonpurpose.com/

2. http://www.ewach.com/

3. http://www.familymatters.net/

2 comments:

  1. It is so amazing that you can find so many great reads for moms and dads who want to raise their children with purpose. Way back when I was raising my four we really relied on Focus on the family for allot of help. It is so valuable to get solid and interesting advise from Parents and teachers have who tried and tested many new approaches. We are not handed a manual when we birth our children. We sometimes have to search for some answers. Nicole you are dong a great job with your babies. They are wonderful, parenting is such an amazing gift that God has given us. Continue blessing your family and friends love you honey Mom <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Love you too mom!!!! Thank you for your love. <3

    ReplyDelete