Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why do I have the driving need to be right?!

Why do I have the driving need to be right?!

Wow the lesson of A lifetime!!! No literally, I think I will be learning this for a lifetime.

Having the need to always be right.
Our internal drive to not just be heard, but for our words to be accepted as "law" and then for the other person or party to bow to the whim of whatever it is. Okay that might be a little harsh..

I feel like this concept is at the forefront of my mind fairly consistently lately, if not just when trying to figure out my motives but also when trying to stand firm in my opinions AND if I am "right" with fighting for the acknowledgement.

As God convicts me and brings me into situations where I get the opportunity to learn,
I want to be known as someone who is:
  1. Open and honest, but willing to be challenged on my motives and opinions. (Babe thank you for being with me through all my learning, and for being open with me, I love life with you, even the hard stuff!!)
  2. Doesn't become bitter from past hurts that will effect present day relationships. (I choose to continue to bring feelings to God for growth in my healing of past relationships. God thank you for always being there to hear my heart and feelings without judgement)
  3. As a mom that never allows my kids thoughts and opinions to be squashed by me. (It's okay that they do things differently than I do even if it isn't as efficient, or, :) it's okay that they think they might want to become a mermaid one day, the childish ways will grow out of them and then I will miss it. *sigh tear* hopefully not too fast)
  4. That doesn't dissolve relationships by trying to prove that I have the edge on the way life should be lived out. (Hard lesson to learn, but I am thankful that God gives me the grace to go through it to hopefully learn how to be a better friend.)

Here's what I want to have as a take away point for my life. The only truth that is absolute is God's. That my  relationships with my husband, children, family and friends are more important to me than me being "right."

I thank God that I don't have to wear that burden!!!

... boy you pray to God for humility... :) we all know how that goes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment