Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Where does it say that we all need to be perfect?

The real me and babe :)

Is it just me or is it hard not to feel the pressure of being perfect all the time. I wear that pressure quite often. It's difficult not changing who I am, to who I think that people need me to be. I am learning slowly that it really doesn't matter what others think of me but about how I am presenting God's presence in my life. It has nothing to do with how clean my home is, how skinny I am or how well I present myself. But in how genuine my message is!! In light of that here is where I was at not too long ago!

*****

I am a Woman. A full time mom, and homeschooling teacher. I am a cheerleader and wife to an incredibly loving and determined man who manages a growing business owned by some amazing close friends.  I am a daughter and sister to many that hold very dear places in my heart. I am a friend to a few wonderful women who keep me accountable, encourage my very essence and love me to no end. I have a beautiful home, but more importantly an incredible neighbourhood, that is FULL of amazing people. New friendships are blooming and become close not only to Adam and I but also our children.

But in all of that I have grown accustomed to anxiousness and discontentment. PEACE has been far from my heart for a few months. I feel withdrawn and overwhelmed. In my attempt to create changes I have lost my foundations. In attempt to become healthier, I have become anxious and worried about every meal and piece of food that comes through our home. In attempt to become more organized. I have just given into my obsessiveness and become overwhelmed with every piece of dirty clothing, book on the floor or dish in the sink.  In attempt to be a good mom and friend, I have lost my sense of self and have become stressed with the way I believe people should see me. The opinions of others have become so forefront in my mind I have lost my confidence. In an attempt to become a positive example of Christ, I have forgotten the reason why I am a Christian and the reason why Jesus Christ is the core of my life.

*****

Why am I being so raw and honest? For one, life can be so discouraging thinking that everyone has it all together all the time. For two, I think in this day and age we get so caught up in the Facebook of life. We forget who we are to become who we think others need us to be. We spend so much time on our outward we forget about our declining inward. We work so hard at being a good mom and wife (fill in the blank) that we forget that it's not the doing that makes us great but the being. We are so busy "doing" Christianity we forget Christ.


So what is my mandate?

#1 To love God with all of my heart and serve Him with all that I have.
-Making the time to spend precious moments with God. Then taking all that I have learned and are still learning and giving it to God to guide me and help me become faithful with what I have at my fingertips.

#2 To love others with reckless abandon. 
 - Choose to go all out in relationships giving generously with the knowledge that God never leaves me or forsakes me and provides all of my needs.

#3 To Rest
- Life is never too busy to choose time to rest. "Be still and know that I am God" (and if life leaves no time to rest. I need to change my schedule so that I can.)

#4 To be at PEACE
- "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (unknown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvDiXCVkzw&feature=related

7 comments:

  1. Flavia Sargeant: You actually have no idea how God uses this blog to bless, challenge and shower me with the knowledge of His goodness...I LOVE the way you share your heart...seriously, we should get together and pray or something!!! lol, but tea would be good as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marci Kreek: Very nice piece :) Well said Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather Mitchell: Thanks for your honesty Nicole! It's a refreshing reminder that we all need to take off the mask and show the world who we really are because of what Jesus did for us - not because how "good" we try to be! Life is much easier without the pressure of trying to please other people or be who you think they want you to be. Just be you - it's who God made you to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor: Wow, really enjoyed that.... something about the common theme I have consistntly seen in a couple of your posts now, has really hit me. The idea of how we present ourelves and being genuine has been oddly soothing. What I mean is, it's hard to describe the feeling, it's something like a tight string being slowly loosened, until the tension is gone...

    When you said "I am learning slowly that it really doesn't matter what others think of me but about how I am presenting God's presence in my life. It hit me right between the eyes... I felt this gentle peace, and I see again that there truly are no coincidences, from the timing of seeing your talk on the museum post, to you accepting my friend request, to me reading this blog, the divinely mingled purpose of reading this,comes more into focus, as time passes. Cherie is here with me readig this post, it was so good, I wanted her to read it to...

    God bless you lady!... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole!! I LOVE this post!! Honestly, I think it would be hard to find a woman out there who doesn't think this way at some point in her life! I love how you talk about the Facebook age - add to that twitter, pinterest etc. I catch myself spending more time on these sites looking at what my life SHOULD be like (and then feeling depressed if I don't measure up!) - instead of looking for what God has blessed me with, being happy and content with that and then using these blessings to do His will! And really...why do I allow other people and their 'posts' of their lives (and let's face it - we typically always post the BEST parts of us!!) become my measuring stick!? Not for me anymore...GOD is my measuring stick. His Word, His calling for my life...THAT is what I want to focus on!! That is how I will decide if I've 'got it all together' - not by comparing my weight, size, clothes, home etc. to someone else's "perfect FB profile"!!!
    Christine Martin, at Divine, said this: "Your opinion of me is none of my business". It really stuck with me - and I'm trying to live it out! Not always that easy...but empowering when I can!!! Worrying about what someone else thinks of you is soooo exhausting!!! So yes...let's build each other up to be REAL and happy and peaceful and content in who the Lord has made us and what He's called us to do in our lives. We are all wonderfully and fearfully made - EACH one of us - exactly how He designed us to be! AMEN to that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janette Drost: I keep trying to comment on your blog but it doesn't work on my phone! Anyways, I said... You know what strikes me most about this post: the fact that while you are aiming to let go of "perfection," you are also growing more and more in true PERFECTION, that of becoming more like Jesus. That kind of perfect love brings all the peace, rest and everything else with it! I love you and your beautiful spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a raw blog entry, and this one is great! Your heart is beautiful, Nic. God made you such a special woman.

    ReplyDelete