Monday, July 30, 2012

Did You Know You're Perfect? - by Janette Drost

Janette Drost is an inspiring woman who I have thoroughly enjoyed spending many moments with. We have prayed together, encouraged and inspired one another!!! Even through busy schedules, new babies, and the visits being further apart. Janette holds a special part of my heart.

I have been so impressed with how she and her husband has handled the last couple years as a married couple through the good times and really tough times. Seeing Janette and Dennis rely on God even when things were looking pretty discouraging is a testimony to God's faithfulness when your eyes are focused on Him.

Her post today is a really intriguing topic especially since I have been on a journey of letting go of my "perfect" mask. Since then I have only seen the word perfect as being a negative thing. I absolutely love this different take on the concept of us being "perfect."

Janette, thank you again for taking the time to put this together. I love the picture you posted a while back of you doing work with Caleb on your lap... I can almost imagine seeing him with you while you are typing this up. Multi-tasking amazing mommy. Blessings to you and your family, as you pursue fulfilling your hearts desires and calling on your life while being an awesome mom and wife!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did You Know You're Perfect?

By Janette Drost



Our culture really celebrates "imperfection" these days, from messy hairstyles to shabby-chic decor to the fact that well, simply, none of us are perfect! And there's nothing wrong with that, but I want to take a moment to share another side of it with you, too. I believe there's something even more beautiful that can really bring new freedom to your life.



I've made lots of mistakes and been through my share of challenges. For example, I know what it's like to put on a fair amount of weight (I did that in my first year of college), and Dennis and I experienced a pretty big challenge a little while ago (that's a story for another day). Last week I put Caleb in his bumbo on the counter, which I KNEW was a bad idea, and he fell and fractured his little arm. Ahhh, the guilt...

But throughout my life, there's a truth that has held me steady and confident in my identity in Christ. It's this: I'm perfect! :) Well, in fact, I actually do lots of dumb things on a regular basis. Hehe. But I know with 100% certainty that my life is hidden in Christ, and when God looks at me, he sees perfection. That makes me feel very small, very happy, and very, very much in awe.



Hebrews 10:14: "For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy." 




Crazy! We're still "being made holy" – which means we still have a lot of things to work on (and I'm not talking about becoming a perfectionist) – but we've been made perfect: future, past AND present. When Nicole invited me, I instantly knew I wanted to write about this! God has been challenging and teaching me so much lately to live each day as if I truly am a perfect wife, mom and woman. It makes me get up each morning with such a different attitude, and with so much more purpose.



I see so many Christian girls who are held back because they don't really believe that they have been made perfect. (It's kind of funny, because I actually feel like I have the opposite problem now… I deal more with pride than with insecurity. Jeepers. There's always something to watch out for!) But I really believe that there's something major at stake here. Satan wants to keep us girls as babies, still drinking the "milk" of God's word which is learning to embrace Jesus' sacrifice which has made us perfect in God's eyes. If that's you, I really want to encourage you to move on to the "meat and potatoes" of going out boldly and living it out. We make it a lot harder than it needs to be, but I believe it really is a simple choice to believe it and act like it. Rather than “not worrying because you’re imperfect anyways," you're free to be your beautiful, perfect self! (Is this making any sense anymore?)



Paul says in Phil. 3:12, "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own." He knows he doesn't act like this all the time, but he presses on with that goal in mind. Even David (after committing adultery!) was able to say "I have led a pure and blameless life." He knew that his mistakes were completely washed away, as if they had never happened.




I absolutely love Flavia's post from the other day because she described it so beautifully. If you can't truly believe you've been made perfect, this is a tall order (and the Proverbs 31 woman seems very intimidating!). But once you absolutely know that your life is hidden in Jesus, you will be full of joy knowing that you already ARE a perfect mom, a perfect wife, or a perfect woman, and that you can do all things through Christ. And to me, that is the most freeing thought in the whole world!



No comments:

Post a Comment