Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"My Latest Upcycle" by Stephanie Headrick


I am honoured to share this post with all of you from a woman that I dearly look up to. I met Stephanie Headrick when I was 17. My family hosted Steph and a friend at our house for the weekend when a team from Eastern Pentecostal Bible College came to minister at our church. It was a chance meeting but something that the two of us decided was worth investing in, even if it came 3 years later, after both of us got married and started having families. It has been a treasured distance relationship full of encouragement and challenge. (Again, FB proves a reason when used properly to be a great tool!) Stephanie Headrick is an amazing woman, pastor, wife and mother. It has been so exciting seeing how God has used her through the years. I am blessed to know her!! And one of these days, we will have to get our two families together!!

Stephanie, dear friend! It has been such a blessing to have a cheerleader behind me through many stages and circumstances! I have loved getting to know you through the years and cannot imagine life with out our little chats and messages back and forth. Praying for continued blessing on you and your amazing family!!! That God will use your gifts as you serve Him, to bless those in your sphere of influence. May your passion to grow in Christ become an attractive extravagant example to your family, to your church and to your community! "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him." Romans 8:28

**************************

"My Latest Upcycle"
By Stephanie Headrick



I don’t know about you - but I have been caught up in the Pinterest world. I really do love it! Honestly, where else can a mom of 4 kids between ages 7 and 2 put an idea to come back to later and NEVER loose it!!!!

 

As I stood spray painting my latest ‘upcycle’ inspired from Pinterest, I realized that maybe God has been upcycling my life too...

 

Over the course of the past few years I feel like my life has been turned on its head and for the sake of ‘Honesty with Modesty’ (as Beth Moore likes to call it) I will spare you all the details, but lets just say it thrust me into a full fledged identity crisis. I got married ‘young’ by most people’s standards and was still finishing my last year of school, at which point I discovered just weeks after our first anniversary I was pregnant, I graduated with a Bachelor of Theology in Youth Ministry 5 months pregnant. Over the course of the 4 years that followed, I gave birth to 3 more kids, was credentialed and later ordained with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada. It was a whirl wind I wouldn’t trade for anything. As time progressed, I began to feel as though things were falling apart, I should clarify that - I didn’t just feel that way - they really were. It shook me to the core so badly that I ended up getting misdiagnosed with postpartum (turned out it was situational depression), medicated, sedated, in counseling and barely able to function. It was such a lonely, overwhelming and isolating time. As I was coming out the other side, God began to move in our lives again and called us to a new church.

 

On the tail end of 11 months of intense depression and anxiety, God moved us somewhere new. So incredibly exciting and relieving and yet at the same time completely chaotic. The last time we moved it was with 1 baby and a very pregnant me; this time it was with a 6,4,2, and 1 year old...to a 1 bedroom cottage no less while our home was being built.

 

I would love to say that as I reflect I feel like I now know more of who I am and have got my feet back under me, but I can’t. That year of my life - it will never be undone. It’s created a new me, weaker in some ways and stronger in others. I don’t feel today that I have any more questions to my identity crisis then I did a year ago in counseling. I did realize today though that maybe, just maybe God’s upcycling my life, taking what was for the past 30 years and turning it into a newer more relevant useful version for the future. I thought about Jeremiah 18 where the Lord sent Jeremiah to the potters house and in verse 3 says “So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.”

 

I know you’ve been dying to know what that latest upcycle was so without any delay - a spice rack turned into a nail polish center. Who knows maybe that spice rack would have rather waited on the bottom shelf for someone to pick it up and use it for its purpose, but I’ve realized, I would rather take on a new purpose then sit around collecting dust. God’s not done with me yet, he’s just shifting and realigning things so He can use me in a new way now. Life can be scary, my only absolute is Jesus, so when it feels like He is allowing things to fall apart around me I have to trust that He can still turn what’s left into something beautiful, and so should you. ~

4 comments:

  1. So wonderful to read your blog!! You are such an amazing young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!! I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Steph!

    ReplyDelete