Monday, March 11, 2013

Meditation Monday: It's not a competition it's a calling!! Steven Furtick


Last night I heard a sermon from Steven Furtick that followed right along with what God has been challenging me on the topic of a calling! It was sooooooo good!!! So I thought I would share it today!!

March 6 2013 Seeds session 1: Steven Furtick

It is not a competition it is a calling.

Judges 6:11-16 (The story of Gideon)
and
Colossians 2:9-10 (We are made complete in Christ)

God is a God who speaks - A God who calls.
- God wants to bring clarity to our callings so we do not miss anything.
- A big reason why we can miss our calling is from a lack of understanding.

We need to change the saying "I would if I could but I can't so I won't." in our lives to "I can't so I wont but with God I will."

1. Your calling is active not passive.

Gideon was doing what he was supposed to do but in a depressed place out of fear of someone taking something from him.

Don't just wait in a state of depression for the "calling" to "arrive." V.14 says "have not I sent you?" God has already called us!!!
Because God has given us a divine destiny means that we cannot become passive about His purpose!!
(Matthew 25 - the story of the talents)

In Genesis Adam's first job was to name all the creatures!! Your calling becomes what you "call it" - start calling it a blessing... I am called to be an incredible mother, an amazing wife, a faithful friend, a mentor to those in need!!

In Romans 4:17 - God calls things that are not as though they are...
STOP CALLING YOUR LIFE as a time of TRANSITION... and stay and plant until God says something else!!!

Stop calling it a "SEASON" and start calling it a "JOURNEY"

2. Your calling is plural not singular

We need to be asking the question: What is God's will and how can I play a part?
- "the thing I am a part of is more important than the part I play"
- it is a group effort in all callings!!!

Just be obedient to the Holy Spirit out of a sense of calling
- This is bigger than me and I have nothing to prove because I am already approved by God!
- God calls us according to what He has put in us NOT what we will be

3. Your calling is present not future

- I am sending you, go in the strength you have v.14
- Serve the purpose of God where you are

"You will not stand before Me to give account of how this man leads this church but how faithful you are in this place."

"Do not envy another's blessings with out understanding their burdens."

"Gideon forget the weakness you feel and go in the strength I give"
- Do not put your joy on "layaway" until someday.

Psalm 84:5 "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage."
- From strength to strength

What can I do today to enable me to do tomorrow what I could not do today??

Calling is not about where but what and how!!

- So much focus on your weakness you forgot the God who gives strength
- Stop comparing our behind the scenes with others highlight reels
- I am the Lord's servant - may Your will be within me! (Mary mother of Jesus)

4. Your calling is a person not a place

- Even though God can call us to a place.
- We are to live worthy of the calling that we have received no matter where we are!

What is the calling?
Be completely humble and gentle, make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit in the body of peace

Not a competition but a calling!
Jesus is our calling! A high calling!!


No comments:

Post a Comment