Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Toddler Tuesday: The bottom line in "Teaching"


I think... this maybe one of my favorite days to write... :) tehehehee... sooo excited!!!!

O man... I could write about so many things... my head is literally going in all directions.. but I think I need to keep to the core for a bit and really make clear some foundational parenting truths in our family.

MANY of you know I have a favorite parenting book... I have raved about it well pretty much FOREVER!!!

It has put into words soooo many things that I knew in my heart but didn't know how to communicate!

Loving our Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk. I believe it is a must have in every parent collection!!! So many of the things I talk about can be wrapped up in this one book!!! So be sure to take a look and order!!!
http://www.amazon.ca/Loving-Kids-Purpose-Danny-Silk/dp/0768427398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363102970&sr=8-1

*****************

Last week we talked about starting points.

Our starting point with Parenting is to TEACH and PROTECT

Today I am going to talk about the Teaching side.

What is our bottom line in teaching our kids? What do we want to accomplish?

I believe our bottom line as a parent is to teach my kids to love God, love others and to love themselves!

I find most of the time I hear that the #1 goal for a parent is to raise our children to obey. And the obvious method to do that is to teach them to do what we say. (which we will discuss when we talk about "protecting")

But what did Jesus tell the Pharisees was the most important commandment? His response was, "Love God, love your neighbor and love yourself." (Luke 10:27)

"Jesus promoted relationship above the rules. Love and relationship are the bottom line of the Kingdom, and they must be ours if we wish to establish a Kingdom culture in our homes." (p35 of Loving our Kids on Purpose)


This was a total mind shift for me!!!


~Lord help us to set up an example of how you want us to live and then to be able to parent our children with the same values. You have taught us that our first and far most goal is to love God, love others and then to love ourselves... Give us a new found revelation on what that means for each of our families in our own unique way.~



Diving Deeper

1. What does this concept stir in you?
2. What is your goal in teaching your kids?





1 comment:

  1. I'm loving Toddler Tuesday's and I definitely want to get that book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete